Network connection for my laptop (wireless or wired)
The laptop network covers the CMS except the Moore Library and Isaac Newton. This page contains DAMTP specific information about the laptop network.
For assistance with laptop network problems check the documentation and/or email help@maths
- Connecting to the laptop network Please only plug your computing into a data outlet that has a sticker stating that it is connected to the CMS laptop network. If no data outlets in your office have this sticker email laptop@damtp asking for one to be connected. You need to include the number of the data outlet (printed about it, eg 2/040), your office number and pavilion in the email.
- Printing from the laptop network
- Backups - laptop data backup service
- How to Access your home directory
(only from wired network - except for ssh forms)
You may call your home directory your samba drive, or your N: drive, the instructions are the same.
- Keep your computer's anti virus software and security patches.
- Connect to DAMTP UNIX boxes using X and Windows boxes from outside the site.
- network install of Linux from the laptop network (pxe boot)
Problems connecting or while connected
If emailing about a problem with the laptop network, you must include the information from the webpage http://lapserv.maths.cam.ac.uk/authstatus/ Below are some notes on resolving particular problems.
- Can't print
- Can't view external pages (not yet written)
- Keep getting logged out of laptop network (not yet written)
- Check the status of the laptop network
eduroam / JANET Roaming Service
Lapwing is also available.