Dr Anthony Ashton
- 2015- : College Lecturer and DoS, Homerton College.
- 2013-15: Stokes Fellow, Pembroke College.
- 2010-13: Junior Research Fellow, Emmanuel College.
- 2009-10: EPSRC Prize Fellow, DAMTP.
- 2006-09: PhD Candidate, DAMTP.
- 2005-06: Part III Mathematics, Peterhouse.
- 2002-05: BA Mathematics, Peterhouse.
Anthony is a member of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics and works in the Applied and Computational Analysis group. He did his PhD under the supervision of Prof. A.S. Fokas. His research interests include: novel approaches to elliptic boundary value problems, Lie groups in PDE, new approaches to rigorous problems in Linear PDE theory and certain aspects of mathematical physics.
He is lecturing the Part III course Distribution Theory & Applications, which focuses on classical distribution theory and application to the analysis of linear PDEs. Example sheets are here and the corresponding solutions will appear below
There are also some handouts
A note on this year's final lecture: remove the intersection with supp(a) in the definition of the set M in the statement of Theorem 5.2. The original statement is ok, but requires more work to prove.
He also lectures Part II Integrable Systems which includes topics such as: the Arnold-Liouville theorem, inverse scattering, infinite dimensional Hamiltonian systems and Lie group methods in PDE. Handouts will appear below
- Generating functions
- Arnold-Liouville theorem and worked example
- Evolution of scattering data
- From Lax pairs to zero curvature
- Painlevé equations
- Ashton, 2015. A new weak formulation of the Dirichlet-Neumann map on convex polyhedra with explicit coercivity constants. (in preparation).
- Ashton & Crooks, 2014. Numerical Analysis of Fokas' Unified Method for Linear Elliptic PDEs, Appl. Num. Math. (in press).
- Ashton, 2014. Laplace's Equation on Convex Polyhedra via the Unified Method, Proc. Roy. Soc. A 471(2176).
- Ashton, 2014. Elliptic PDEs with Constant Coefficients on Convex Polyhedra via the Unified Method, J. Math. Anal. & Appl. 425(1).
- Ashton & Fokas, 2014. Elliptic Equations with Low Regularity Boundary Data via the Unified Method, Complex Var. & Elliptic Eq. 60(5).
- Ashton, 2013. The spectral Dirichlet-Neumann map for Laplace's equation in a convex polygon, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 45(6).
- Ashton, 2012. On the rigorous foundations of the Fokas method for linear elliptic PDEs, Proc. Roy. Soc. A 468(2142).
- Ashton & Fokas, 2011. A Nonlocal Formulation of Rotational Water Waves, J. Fluid. Mech. 689(1).
- Ashton, 2011. Regularity of Elliptic and Hypoelliptic Operators via the Global Relation, J. Part. Diff. Eq. 24(1).
- Ashton, 2011. On The Non-Existence of Three Dimensional Water Waves with Finite Energy, Nonlin. Anal. B 12(4).
- Ashton, 2010. Stability of Parallel Fluid Loaded Plates: A Nonlocal Approach, Stud. App. Math. 125(3).
- Ashton & Fokas, 2009. A Novel Approach to the Fluid Loaded Plate, Proc. Roy. Soc. A 465(2112).
- Ashton, 2008. Conservation Laws and Non-Lie Symmetries, J. Nonlin. Math. Phys. 15(3).
- Ashton, 2008. The Fundamential k-form and Global Relations, SIGMA 4(33).