Dr Colm-cille Caulfield
- 1992-1994: Post-doctoral research fellow for the Japan-Canada Project in Weather and Climate of the Arctic, Department of Physics, University of Toronto
- 1992-1993: Senior Visitor, Department of Engineering Science, Hokkaido University
- 1995-1999: Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Bristol
- 1999-2001: Assistant Professor of Environmental Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Irwin and Joan Jacobs School of Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- 2001-2005: Associate Professor (with tenure) of Environmental Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Irwin and Joan Jacobs School of Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- 2004-2005: Visiting Researcher (Poste Rouge au CNRS) in the Hydrodynamics Laboratory, (LaDyHX) Ecole Polytechnique-CNRS
- 2005-: University Lecturer in Fluid Flow, BP Institute and the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge
- 2005-: Fellow and College Lecturer in Mathematics, Churchill College, University of Cambridge
- stratified flows
- turbulent mixing processes
- flow instability and transition
- turbulent plumes
- building ventilation
- bubble dynamics and interaction with turbulence
- Scase, M.M., Caulfield, C.P., Linden, P.F. and Dalziel, S.B. (2007) Local implications for self-similar turbulent plume models. J. Fluid Mechanics 575, 257-265.
- Patterson, M.D., Caulfield, C.P. and McElwaine, J.N. et al (2006) Time-dependent mixing in stratified Kelvin-Helmholtz billows: experimental observations. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33 (15), Art. No. L15608.
- Scase, M.M., Caulfield, C.P., Dalziel, S.B. et al. (2006) Time-dependent plumes and jets with decreasing source strengths. J. Fluid Mechanics 563, 443-461.
- Scase, M.M., Caulfield, C.P. and Dalziel, S.B. (2006) Boussinesq plumes and jets with decreasing source strengths in stratified environments. J. Fluid Mechanics 563, 463-472.
- Flynn, M.R. and Caulfield, C.P. (2006) Natural ventilation in interconnected chambers. J. Fluid Mechanics 564, 139-158.
- Tang, W., Caulfield, C.P. and Young, W.R. (2005) Bounds on dissipation in stress-driven flow in a rotating frame. J. Fluid Mechanics 540, 373-391.
- Conroy, D.T., Llewellyn Smith, S.G. and Caulfield, C.P. (2005) Evolution of a chemically reacting plume in a ventilated room. J. Fluid Mechanics 537, 221-253.
- Caulfield, C.P. (2005) Buoyancy flux bounds for surface-driven flow. J. Fluid Mechanics 536, 367-376.
- Caulfield, C.P., Tang, W. and Plasting, S.C. (2004) Reynolds number dependence of an upper bound for the long-time-averaged buoyancy flux in plane stratified Couette flow. J. Fluid Mechanics 498, 315-332.
- Tang, W., Caulfield, C.P. and Young, W.R. (2004) Bounds on dissipation in stress-driven flow. J. Fluid Mechanics 510, 333-352.
- Peltier, W.R. and Caulfield, C.P. (2003) Mixing efficiency in stratified shear flows. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 35, 135-167.
- Woods, A.W., Caulfield, C.P. and Phillips, J.C. (2003) Blocked natural ventilation: The effect of a source mass flux. J. Fluid Mechanics 495, 119-133.
- Caulfield, C.P. and Woods, A.W. (2002) The mixing of a room by a localized finite mass flux source of buoyancy. J. Fluid Mechanics 471, 33-50.
- Lee, V. and Caulfield, C.P. (2001) Nonlinear evolution of a layered stratified shear flow . Dyn. Atmos. Oceans 34, 103-124.
- Caulfield, C.P. and Kerswell, R.R. (2001) Maximal mixing rate in turbulent stably stratified shear flow. Phys. Fluids 13, 894-900.
- Caulfield, C.P. and Peltier, W.R. (2000) The anatomy of the mixing transition in homogeneous and stratified free shear layers. J. Fluid Mechanics 413, 1-47.
- Caulfield, C.P. and Kerswell, R.R. (2000) The nonlinear development of three-dimensional disturbances at hyperbolic stagnation points: a model of the braid region in mixing layers. Phys. Fluids 12, 1032-1043.
- Caulfield, C.P. and Woods, A.W. (1998) Turbulent gravitational convection from a point source in a non-uniformly stratified environment. J. Fluid Mechanics 360, 229-248.
- Caulfield, C.P., Yoshida, S. and Peltier, W.R. (1996) Secondary instability and three-dimensionalization in a laboratory accelerating shear layer with varying density differences. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans 23(1-4), 125-138.
- Caulfield, C.P., Peltier, W.R., Yoshida, S. et al. (1995) An experimental investigation of the instability of a shear flow with multilayered density stratification. Phys. Fluids 7(12), 3028-3041.
- Caulfield, C.P. and Woods, A.W. (1995) Plumes with non-monotonic mixing behavior. Geophys. Astrophys. Fluid Dyn. 79(1-4), 173-199.
- Caulfield, C.P. (1994) Multiple linear instability of layered stratified shear-flow. J. Fluid Mechanics 258, 255-285.
- Caulfield, C.P. and Peltier, W.R. (1994) Three dimensionalization of the stratified mixing layer. Phys. Fluids 6(12), 3803-3805.
- Sutherland, B.R., Caulfield, C.P. and Peltier, W.R. (1994) Internal gravity-wave generation and hydrodynamic instability. J. Atmos. Sci. 51(22), 3261-3280.
- Woods, A.W. and Caulfield, C.P. (1992) A laboratory study of explosive volcanic eruptions. J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth 97(B5), 6699-6712.
© DAMTP, Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Wilberforce Road, Cambridge CB3 0WA.
Page last saved: 19th January 2009 by