Professor Michael Proctor
- 1974-present Fellow of Trinity College
- 1975- 1977 Postdoc and assistant Professor, MIT
- 1977- 1991 Lecturer, DAMTP
- 1977-present College Lecturer, Trinity
- 1979-1991, 1992-1994 Tutor, Trinity
- 1994-2000 Reader, DAMTP
- 1994-2006 Dean of College, Trinity
- 2000-present Professor of Astrophysical Fluid dynamics, DAMTP
- 2006-2012 Vice-Master, Trinity
Effects of fluctuations and shear on mean field dynamos. Effect of shear on convective dynamo action. Magnetic buoyancy instability induced by shear flow. Effects of distant boundaries on pattern-forming instabilities with drift
- J. G. Wissink, P. C. Matthews, D. W. Hughes, and M. R. E. Proctor. Numerical Simulation of Buoyant Magnetic Flux Tubes. Astrophys. J., 536:982-997, 2000.
- A.M. Rucklidge, N.O. Weiss, D.P. Brownjohn, P.C. Matthews, and M.R.E. Proctor. Compressible magnetoconvection in three dimensions: pattern formation in a strongly stratified layer. J. Fluid Mech., 419:283-323, 2000.
- M.R.E. Proctor, S.M.Tobias, and E.Knobloch. Noise-sustained structures due to convective insta- bility in finite domains. Physica D, 138:674-683, 2000.
- A. Abdulrahman, C.A . Jones, M. R. E. Proctor, and K. A. Julien. Large wavenumber convection in the rotating annulus. Geophys. Astrophys. Fluid Dyn., 93:227-252, 2000.
- I.Melbourne, M.R.E. Proctor, and A.M.Rucklidge. A heteroclinic model of geodynamo reversals and excursions. In G. Dangelmayr P. Chossat and J. Oprea, editors, Dynamo and Dynamics: a Mathematical Challenge, pages 363-370. Kluwer, Dordrecht, 2001.
- M.R.E. Proctor. Finite amplitude behaviour of the Matthews-Cox instability. Physics Letters A, 292:181-187, 2001.
- A.R. Halford and M.R.E. Proctor. An oscillatory secondary bifurcation for magnetoconvection and rotating convection at small aspect ratio. J. Fluid Mech, 467:241-257, 2002.
- N. O. Weiss, M. R. E. Proctor, and D. P. Brownjohn. Magnetic flux separation in photospheric convection. Mon. Not. R. Ast. Soc., 337:293-304, 2002.
- M.R.E. Proctor. Dynamo processes: the interaction of magnetic fields and turbulence. Invited review in: Thompson and Christiansen-Dalsgaard, editors, New developments in astrophysical fluid dynamics. Cambridge, 2003.
- G. I. Ogilvie and M.R.E. Proctor. On the relation between viscoelastic and magnetohydrodynamic flows and their instabilities. J. Fluid Mech., 476:389-409, 2003.
- M.R.E. Proctor. An extension of the toroidal theorem. Geophys. Astrophys. Fluid. Dyn 98:235-240, 2004.
- J. H. P. Dawes, C. M. Postlethwaite, and M. R. E. Proctor. Instabilities induced by a weak breaking of a strong spatial resonance. Physica D 191:1-30, 2004.
- M.R.E.Proctor. Magnetoconvection. Invited review in: Fluid dynamics and dynamos in astrophysics and geophysics, ed. Soward, Jones, Hughes and Weiss, CRC Press, pp 235-276, 2005.
- A.M.Rucklidge, M.R.E.Proctor & J.A.Prat. Mean flow instabilities of two-dimensional convection in strong magnetic fields. Geophys. Astrophys. Fluid Dyn. 100:121-138, 2006.
- M.R.E.Proctor. Dynamo Action and the Sun.In Stellar Fluid Dynamics and Numerical Simulations: From the Sun to Neutron Stars. M.Rieutord and B. Dubrulle (eds). EAS Publications Series, 21:241-273, 2006.
- M.R.E.Proctor. Introduction to dynamo theory. Invited chapter in"Mathematical aspects of natural dynamos", ed. E. Dormy and A.M Soward, pp. 20-41 , CRC Press, Boca Raton 2007.
- A. B. Iskakov, A. A. Schekochihin, S. C. Cowley, J. C. McWilliams and M. R. E. Proctor. Numerical demonstration of fluctuation dynamo at low magnetic Prandtl numbers. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98:208501, 2007.
- A.A. Schekochihin, A.B.Iskakov, S.C. Cowley, J.C. McWilliams, M.R.E.Proctor % T.A.Yousef. Fluc- tuation dynamo and turbulent induction at low magnetic Prandtl numbers. New Journal of Physics, 9:300, 2007.
- L.J.Silvers & M.R.E.Proctor. Interaction of multiple convection zones in A-type stars. Mon. Not. R. A. S. 380: 44-50, 2007.
- F. Rincon, G. I. Ogilvie & M. R. E. Proctor. A self-sustaining nonlinear dynamo process in Keplerian shear flows. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98:254502, 2007.
- Rebecca B. Hoyle, Alexandra T. Anghel, Michael R. Proctor, & David A. King. Pattern Formation during the Oxidation of CO on Pt100: A Mesoscopic Model. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98:226102, 2007.
- Michael.R.E.Proctor. Effects of fluctuation on alpha-omega dynamo models.Mon. Not. R. A. S. 382: L39-L42, 2007.
- J.H.P.Dawes and M.R.E.Proctor. Turing-type instabilities due to strong spatial resonance. Proc. Roy. Soc A 464:923-942, 2008.
- H. Isobe, M. R. E. Proctor & N. O. Weiss. Convection-driven emergence of granular scale magnetic field and its role in coronal heating and solar wind acceleration. Astrophys.J. Lett., 679:L57-L60, 2008.
- P. J. Bushby, S. M. Houghton, M. R. E. Proctor & N. O. Weiss. Convective intensification of magnetic fields in the quiet Sun. Mon.Not. R.A.S., 387:698-706, 2008.
- S. M. Houghton, S. M. Tobias, E. Knobloch & M. R. E. Proctor. Bistability in the Complex Ginzburg-Landau Equation with Drift. Physica D, in press, 2008.
- V.V.Pipin & M.R.E. Proctor.Closure tests for mean field magnetohydrodynamics using a self con- sistent reduced model. Mon Not. R.A.S., 388:367-374, 2008.
- F.Rincon, G.I.Ogilvie, M.R.E.Proctor & C.Cossu. Subcritical Dynamos in Shear Flows. Astr. Nachr., 329: 750-761,2008