Professor Peter Haynes
- 2001-present: Professor of Applied Mathematics [2005-2015 Head of Department], DAMTP, University of Cambridge.
- 1999-2000: Reader in Atmospheric Science, DAMTP, University of Cambridge.
- 1991-1999: University Lecturer, DAMTP, University of Cambridge.
- 1986-1990: Royal Society Meteorological Office Research Fellow in Dynamical Meteorology, DAMTP, University of Cambridge.
- 1984-1985: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and the Ocean, University of Washington.
Peter Haynes' research focusses on the large-scale fluid dynamics of atmosphere and ocean, and related topics, particularly in climate science. In fluid dynamics he is interested in wave propagation and breaking and its implication for the background flow, and in transport and mixing of trace species, including reacting chemical and biological species. These topics are relevant to both atmosphere and ocean. In atmospheric science, he is interested in the dynamics of the global circulation, in interactions between dynamics, chemistry and radiation, and in the various physical and dynamical processes controlling the distributions of chemical species, including water vapour.
- Haynes, P. H., Scinocca J. F., Greenslade, M. D., 2001: Formation and maintenance of the extratropical tropopause by baroclinic eddies. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 4179-4182.
- Esler, J.G., Tan, D.G.H., Haynes, P.H., Evans, M., Law, K.S., Plantevin, P.-H., Pyle, J.A., 2001: Stratosphere-Troposphere Exchange: chemical sensitivity to mixing. J. Geophys. Res., 106, 4717-4731.
- Fereday, D.R., Haynes, P.H., Wonhas, A., Vassilicos, J.C., 2002: Scalar variance decay in chaotic advection and Batchelor-regime turbulence. Phys. Rev. E 65, 035301-1,4.
- Shuckburgh, E. F., Haynes, P. H., 2003: Diagnosing transport and mixing using a tracer-based coordinate system, Phys. Fluids, 15, 3342-3357.
- Bonazzola, M, Haynes, P.H., 2004: A trajectory-based study of the tropical tropopause region. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D20, D20112, 10.1029/2003JD004356
- Haynes, P.H., 2005: Stratospheric dynamics. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., 37:263-293.
- Haynes, P.H., Vanneste, J., 2005: What controls the decay of passive scalars in smooth flows? Phys. Fluids, 17, 097103. (16 pages)
- Fueglistaler, S., and P. H. Haynes (2005), Control of interannual and longer-term variability of stratospheric water vapor, J. Geophys. Res., 110, D24108, doi:10.1029/2005JD006019.
- Berthet, G., Esler, J.G., and Haynes, P.H., 2007: A Lagrangian perspective of the tropopause and the ventilation of the lowermost stratosphere. J. Geophys. Res., 112, D18102, doi 10.1029/2006JD008295.
- Greenslade, M.D., and Haynes, P.H., 2008: Vertical transition in transport and mixing in baroclinic flows. J. Atmos. Sci, 65, 1137-1157.