Professor T.J. Pedley
- 2000-05: Head of Department, DAMTP
- 1996-present: G.I.Taylor Professor of Fluid Mechanics, DAMTP, Cambridge University
- 1990-96: Professor of Applied Mathematics, Leeds University
- 1973-89: Lecturer, then Reader (1989), Dept of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP), Cambridge University
- 1973-89 and 1996-present: Fellow of Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge
- 1968-73: Lecturer, Physiological Flow Studies Unit and Dept of Mathematics, Imperial College, London
- 1966-68: Post-doctoral Fellow, Johns Hopkins University
Tim Pedley has been interested in Biological Fluid Dynamics since 1968; He has approx 150 publications, at first all in internal, physiological fluid mechanics; recently mostly in external fluid mechanics, the interaction of living organisms with their fluid environment, e.g. fish swimming and, especially, collective behaviour of swimming micro-organisms.
- Luo, X.Y. & Pedley, T.J. Multiple solutions and flow limitation in collapsible channel flows. J. Fluid Mech., 420: 301-324, 2000.
- Lewis, D.M. & Pedley, T.J. The influence of turbulence on plankton predation strategies. J. Theor. Biol., 210, 347-365, 2001.
- Pedley, T.J. James Lighthill and his contributions to fluid mechanics. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., 33,1-41, 2001.
- Metcalfe, A.M. & Pedley, T.J. Falling plumes in bacterial bioconvection. J. Fluid Mech., 445, 121-149, 2001.
- Pedley, T.J. Mathematical modelling of arterial fluid dynamics. J. Eng. Maths, 47, 419-444, 2003.
- Vladimirov, V.A., Wu, M.S.C., Pedley, T.J., Denissenko, P.V. & Zakhidova, S.G. Measurement of cell velocity distributions in populations of motile algae. J. Exp. Biol. 207: 1203-1216, 2004.
- Kim, K.S., Davis, I.S., Macpherson, P.A., Pedley, T.J. & Hill, A.E. Osmosis in small pores: a molecular dynamics study of the mechanism of water transport. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, 461: 273-296, 2005.
- Magar, V. & Pedley, T.J. Average nutrient uptake by a self-propelled unsteady squirmer. J. Fluid Mech. 539: 93-112, 2005.
- Ishikawa, T., Simmonds, M.P. & Pedley, T.J. Hydrodynamic interaction of two swimming model micro-organisms. J.Fluid Mech 568: 119-160, 2006.
- Guneratne, J.C. & Pedley, T.J. High-Reynolds-number steady flow in a collapsible channel. J. Fluid Mech., 569: 151-184, 2006.
- Ishikawa, T. & Pedley, T.J. Diffusion of swimming model micro-organisms in a semi-dilute suspension. J Fluid Mech. 588, 437-462, 2007.
- Luo, X-Y., Cai, Z.-X., Li, W.-G. & Pedley, T.J. The cascade structure of linear instability in collapsible channel flows. J.Fluid
- Mech. 600, 45-76, 2008.
- Singh, K & Pedley, T.J. The hydrodynamics of flexible manoeuvres in swimming fish. Physica D 237:2234-2239,2008.