Jeremy P Parker
J P Parker
Cambridge CB3 0DS
Telephone: I'd rather you emailed.
Fax: I'd rather you left me alone.
*Spam conference invitations, disproofs of E=mc², etc. should be addressed to Professor Parker. I will ignore anything for Dr Parker.
*Viruses should be compressed as "Virus.zip", and consist of self contained 64 bit executables in both .exe and ELF formats.
I'm a PhD student in DAMTP at the University of Cambridge.
I am supervised by C P Caulfield and R R Kerswell,
and I also collaborate with J Page.
My PhD is focused on studying the nonlinear behaviour of stratified shear flows, applying methods
such as Direct-Adjoint Looping and Newton-Krylov iteration to understand instability and mixing.
- 2019 Fellow, GFD, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
- 2017- PhD, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- 2016-17 Software Engineer, Arm
- 2015-16 MMath, Churchill College, Cambridge (Part III)
- 2012-15 BA, Churchill College, Cambridge (Mathematical Tripos)
- Parker, J P, Caulfield, C P and Kerswell, R R, The effects of Prandtl number on the nonlinear dynamics of Kelvin-Helmholtz instability in two dimensions
- Parker, J P and Page, J, Koopman analysis of isolated fronts and solitons
To appear in SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems
- Parker, J P, Caulfield, C P and Kerswell, R R, 2020, The viscous Holmboe instability for smooth shear and density profiles
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 896, A14.
link (open access) data
- Parker, J P, Caulfield, C P and Kerswell, R R, 2019, Kelvin-Helmholtz billows above Richardson number 1/4
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 879, R1.
Talks and Posters
- Kelvin-Helmholtz instability above Richardson number 1/4
European Turbulence Conference, September 2019
- The dynamical system of mixing layers
BPI seminar series, February 2019
- Finite amplitude Kelvin-Helmholtz billows at
high Richardson number
APS DFD, November 2018
- Choice of amplitude constraint for optimal
perturbations to stratified shear flows
Bremen Winter School and Symposium, March 2018
abstract poster movies
Stratiflow is my direct numerical simulation code for stratified shear flows.
You can find the full source code, in C++, on GitHub.
I supervise undergraduates.
- Lent 2019 II Mathematical Biology
- Michaelmas 2018 & 2019 IA Differential Equations
- Lent 2018 IA Vector Calculus
- Michaelmas 2017 IA Vectors & Matrices
Me in numbers
Here is a collection of numbers, which I am trying to either increase or decrease
- Half marathon: 1hr 28m 37s
- 2k erg: 6:48.4
- Trad lead onsight: E2 5c
- Height: 179cm
LaTeX poster template
I have created a template for the beamerposter
LaTeX package. It roughly follows Cambridge University branding.
You can download it here. See above for examples.
Why does this webpage look rubbish?
I don't have a stylesheet. Feel free to set your own.