Dr Jim McElwaine
- 2005-present EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow, DAMTP, Cambridge
- 2002-present Visiting scientist, Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research, Davos
- 2001-present Fellow of St. Catharine's College, Cambridge
- 2001-2005 Royal Society University Research Fellow, DAMTP, Cambridge
- 1998-1999 Post-doc, Division Erosion Torrentielle, Neige et Avalanches, Cemagref, Grenoble
- 1996-2001 European Union Research Fellow, Institute of Low Temperature Science, Hokkaido University
Granular flows and fluid dynamics including snow avalanches, pyroclastic flows, gravity currents, segregation and ripple formation.
- B. Turnbull and J. N. McElwaine. Experiments on the non-boussinesq flow of self-igniting suspension currents on a steep open slope. J. Geophys. Res., 113:F01003, 2008.
- Nicolas Taberlet, Stephen W. Morris, and Jim N. McElwaine. Washboard road: The dynamics of granular ripples formed by rolling wheels. Phys. Rev. Lett., 99:068003, 2007.
- S. Aumaitre, C. Puls, J. N. McElwaine, and J. P. Gollub. Comparing flow thresholds and dynamics for oscillating and inclined granular layers. Phys. Rev. E, 75:061307, 2007.
- B. Turnbull, J. N. McElwaine, and C. J. Ancey. The Kulikovskiy-Sveshnikova-Beghin model of powder snow avalanches: Development and application. J. Geophys. Res., 112:F0100, 2007.
- B. Turnbull and J. N. McElwaine. A comparison of powder snow avalanches at Vall\'ee de la Sionne with plume theories. J. Glaciol., 53(180):30--40, 2007.
- J. N. McElwaine and B. Turnbull. Plume theories versus compact models for powder snow avalanches. In Sixth International Symposium on Stratified Flows, Perth, December 11-14, 2006, 2006.
- Thomas A. Hughes and Jim N. McElwaine. Mathematical and biological modelling of rna secondary structure and its effects on gene expression. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 7(1), 2006.
- M. D. Patterson, C. P. Caulfield, J. N. McElwaine, and S. B. Dalziel. Time-dependent mixing in stratified kelvin-helmholtz billows: Experimental observations. Geo. Res. Let., 33:L15608, 2006.